Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Meds Or Madness

How do you know when you are on the right medication? Sometimes I think I am imbalanced, how would I know when I was balanced?

Currently I am on Paxil. It has helped wonders for my anxiety and depression. I get the stuff, it works for awhile to correct those things, but over time I seem to become immune to them and request an adjustment. About 6 months ago my dosage was increased. I felt much better. Then it started again. I start to self medicate. Not knowing what is causing this urge, this need to disrupt what isn't balanced anyway, but should be.

I dont see a therapist, a pshyciatrist or any other ist. My doctor is none of those things. I think he's a medical practitioner or family doctor. The second time I went to see him I took my boyfriend. He had his own complaints about the meds that he wanted addressed. Maily the lack of sex drive. I flatly told the doctor that I didnt care if I had a sex drive or not. My mental state was the urgency. I want to feel "normal" as possible. I did ask my bf to let me know if he saw things, personality changes, etc. I need those things brought to my attention because I have been on this medication before and it was disastrous long term....creating a mania that caused me great financial and legal problems. Not to mention some very strange urge to consume large amounts of alcohol. The worst part was that I never suffered a hang over, so there was nothing to keep me from overconsuming regularly.

That urge is back. It baffles me that I have this new desire to drink almost on a daily basis. Obviously a med check is in order, I'm just afraid. Afraid they will put me on a medication that will totally whack me out or numb my brain. Either one would make my job suffer....and well, if i lose that I can't feed my kids!!! Not to mention I seem to work the same hours as all these professional people out there to help me.

Ping-pong.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jil said...

Its hard figuring the medicine thing out...its taken me years to finally find someone who really has my best interest in mind (a best interest that I agree with). Most bipolar people are on a mood stabilizing drug. I am on Lamictal & it really helps with keeping me from going up and down 50 times during a day. It doesnt numb me out like Depakote did...the thing is that different meds work differently on different people. I wouldnt just go to a general practitioner...but thats just my humble opinion. I dont see a therapist, but I know that helps a lot of folks. You're right, it takes a lot of patience, but I can tell that you want to get things under control & youre trying to figure this stuff out. Thats a major step in the right direction.

11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home