Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Benadryl Babies

For God's sake...just admit what the forensic evidence screams against you and get it overwith.

One of the beautiful and comforting things about living here is the lack of crime. If you do happen to catch a story about murder or robbery....it is followed through from beginning to end including pre-trial, trial and sentencing.

Recently a daycare provider was charged with murder. Shocking and disturbing to this community would be an understatement. She had the "ingenious" idea to drug all of her children at lunch time to ensure that each and every child was zonked within the hour. Children at the daycare as young as four claimed that it was a lunchtime ritual to have "black liquid" served with their daily meals. This ritual included bottle fed chilren. All of them given a daily lunch time dose of Benadryl.

To think of this woman shopping at Costco, where she admittedly purchased cases of this drug on a monthly basis makes me wonder sooooo many things. First off, what kind of moron would administer anoyone a daily dose of anything that was not doctor prescribed, much less in doses it was not recommended to give, ages it was not recommended to give to and DAILY?

i was a daycare provider for two years. The first year it was completely rewarding. Art projects, rocking babies, reading stories, seeing the light in a child's eyes that had learned something for the very first time.

I had children that came from crappy homes, and the babies in particular robbed my heart. Babies coming with horriffic diaper rashes from mothers that obviously hadnt changed the diapers from the night before, still in their jammies, soaked with urine, formula crusted in their hair from the night before. Upon mom's leaving they would promptly take a warm bath....never once to their dislike. Older children that had to be taught that McDonalds fries were not a basic food group. It was my job to teach them, but most of all to love them, rock them, hold them, play with them.

I knew when I started resenting getting up early, being agitated that parents werent arriving on time that it was time to quit. For a few months I thought it was just a mood thing, I can be a lazy butt, but this was different. It was a home daycare and I started feeling put out that people were arriving at all hours, particularly morning hours and seemingly leaving their kids with me until they were done having a life for the day. I was burnt out.

I quit and went back to the office scene. I sometimes wonder if I have made the right choice. I know being home all day only talking to two year olds was not healthy for my sanity. But when I hear stories of sitters shaking babies, drugging them to sleep and beating on them in general it makes me wish I could have saved them. My heart goes out to the innocents. I love babies. Not that I want one for my own! To me they are like cute puppies. They are a pain at times, but they are so damn adorable you let them get away with it anyway. They dont let you sleep, they tear up the house and generally create chaos. And then they grow up and well....to put it nicely, arent necessarily so cute anymore.

I'm frustrated with the legal system. Ive been seeing people who admit to horriffic crimes of murder and get life in prison. Why the hell should taxpayers have to foot the bill for these sickos. They admit it, evidence proves it.....take em out back and put em out. Don't give them a chance to write a tell all book, get more publicity, revel in their sick fame.

This woman will be convicted. There are diapers from other children that tested positive for the same drug and testimony from a four-year-old that states they were given a black liquid every day at lunch time to help them sleep.

I'm not sure this particular case pleads the death penalty, in fact I would say this was a complete act of ignorance and stupidity. But parents were complaining that their children seemed more drowsy than usual, what the hell did this woman THINK when she was watching zombied, drugged out kids. I just hope there is no lawsuit from this mornon to the drug company for not letting her know as she was purchasing case after case of this stuff that is was lethal. That would be an injustice.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

working with kids is one of the toughest jobs in the world.I had a two month placement at a kids nursery while doing nurse training in the 1980s,I nearly quit after a week. Some people can do it...I wasn't one of them.

Hope things are going ok for you at the mo...

5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You took the words right out of my mouth, too. There are times that I...

12:39 AM  
Blogger Gigglezngrinz said...

It was supposed to just be a draft...didnt realize it published...brain fart.

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home