Thursday, October 20, 2005

Money Saving 101

I'm always up for money saving tips. I can't keep a dollar in my wallet without knowing there is something out there I forgot that I needed. Don't get me wrong, I can save......I have an account set up at work that I can't touch. Yup, I cant be able to get anywhere near it without tax penalties, early withdrawl fees, and a ton of paperwork being involved. For me, that's a secure investment.

I ran across this article I felt compelled to share on how to save money when you have none.

1. Stash a dollar in a jar every time you do the laundry.
(Aren't the truly poor looking for dollars to DO their laundry?)
(I'm usually the one looking for dollar bills IN my laundry...found two bucks just yesterday...woohoo)

2. Save all your $5 bills in a coffee can.
(I have been so broke that finding $5 in my coat pocket momentarily convinced me I'd won the lottery. A coffee can full of fives and I'd have to take eveyone out for drinks!!!)

Or save all your $20 bills in shoe box.
(Point 1: I dont know about YOU, but I dont have alot of twenties just lying around the house making me wonder what to do with them.)
(Point 2: I want to know who does this so I can break into their house, er, I mean come visit)

3. Cash in your spare change.
(Mr Live In does this and I think it's an adorable trait. He is so obsessed with collecting change that he will trade me change for bills......even when it rips him off!! Isn't that ADORABLE!!!! Just dont ever "borrow" any to wash your car....he does that head spinning, ear piercing yell that is NOT adorable.)

4. Salt away all those little rebates, refunds and reimbursement checks.
(Wait. If you are getting a rebate, you have SPENT money. The only way this strategy really works is if you steal other peoples rebate checks. Just ask the mailman.)

5. Take free money. Now some institutions are offering “spare change” savings plans. Bank of America will round up any purchase you make and deposit the extra change in a savings account for you. For a limited time, they’ll even match your spare change up to $250.
(That would be a nice bonus if the bastards would take me out of Chexsystems and let me have an account!!!!)

6. Even if you love to save, it can be hard to sock away that cash -- unless you let Mother Technology do it for you. Have an automatic transfer set up from checking to savings.
(Hmm, doesnt the REVERSE work here as well??? Mine would simply be flowing in the savings to checking direction)

Play little money games
(Find the Money, Stretch the Money, Honey's Money, Beat the Bank, Speed Charge)

7. Create bank errors in your favor. If you spend $2.16 on coffee, deduct $3 in the check register. Round down your paycheck. A $425 check would become $400 in the check register and the $25 is saved.
(I'm a number nerd. Being unable to balance the checkbook to the penny would make me (more) insane. Honey tried this strategy until I threated to kill him. Hiding money in your checkbook is like setting the alarm clock ahead......I'd just do the math and spend it anyway.)

8. Make a fair trade. Help a neighbor build a fence in exchange for some pocket money. Get together with friends and have a clothes or furniture/house item swap.
(I've seen their stuff and I don't want it. I'd rather keep my day job than build a fence, thanks)

9. Switch from paper to plastic. A surprising number of women are mega-advocates of relying on credit cards as a way of controlling spending. Some get cash back or miles; some just feel handling cash is too risky.
(Either way works for me. Whatever spends is not safe in my posession....period. The only reason credit cards work better is I cant find myself handing it freely to the kids)

10. Divide and conquer. Divide the total amount of your car insurance (or other irregular expense) by 12 and sock away that amount each month so you don't get caught short.
(The insurance company already does this for me to the tune of $500 per month. Sorry folks, but I wouldnt be EATING with that kind of savings plan....next)

11. Buy non-perishables in bulk.
(Ever notice how if you have the ginormous box of cereal everyone loses interest in eating it and you end up throwing it away?)

12. Share the savings. Buy toiletries and such at a warehouse store and divvy the spoils up with friends.
(I have a large family. There is no SHARING)

13. Buy generic instead of brand-name products.
(Been doing this for years. Maybe that's why I have beer money.)

14. Research before you buy. Bargains can be found for any item if you put a little time into finding discount Web sites, clearance centers, warehouse outlets and the like.
(I want it NOW damn it!)

15. Look at the Pottery Barn catalog, shop at Goodwill. You can turn into a masterpiece with a little paint and stain.
(Im a big fan of this one. My house is decorated with refurbished items that look fantastic...plus its a great hobby. The only caution is buying unnecessary items with a vision in mind. Kinda like going to a garage sale and bringing home a fence post. "But honey, it was only $3.")

16. Build it, grow it, make it, cook it yourself. In addition to sewing, making gifts and homemade cards, cooking at home, and baking everything from scratch (saves everything BUT time)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only way to save money is to HAVE it in the first place. I recently cashed in $30 worth of pennies (out of neccessity)...

8:16 PM  
Blogger mizeeyore said...

attention Kmart shoppers: Reckless money spender alert =me *coughs*

money? HA! i have been playing "Beat the Check to the Bank" lately and the overdraft charges make me want to commit myself in the hospital. i've been on a spending spree for things i like KNOWING damn well i dont have the kind of money i'm used to having where i could splurge a little bit. i have awarded myself "The Incredibly Stupid and Dumb Beyond Belief" trophy because i hate me.

*sigh* and now back to regularly scheduled programming....

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home