Monday, January 16, 2006

Wanted : Farm

Oops, long time since between posts. Ive been doing well, just nothing much to talk about I suppose.

MRLI and I have been getting along beautifully. He has realized that our relationship is a tad more intimate when he's nice, and well......he's been nice and he's being rewarded. (evil smile)

Last weekend I saw the most beautiful thing. I wanted to post about it, but words couldn't even begin to describe the awesomeness. MRLI's former mother in law called and asked him to help her deliver a calf. (Yea, it's not calving season, but apparently these folks breed whenever they feel the urge) I had just gotten dinner on the table when he tells me "it's time." This has happened before and usually I just send him on his merry way to do the deed. Being his sweet self of late, he announces that it could be a learning experience for the kids. Cant say that mine have ever seen a calf be born.

Stepping through piles and piles of who knows what (I didnt want to know) in the dark out in the pasture while being followed by goats and llamas was interesting all on it's own. Its been awhile since Ive been out in true farm land. We made it through the mystery gush to the barn to find momma cow....sack hanging out her backside, full of blood, water and mystery juices.

I sat with the kids on the fence while MRLI roped and wrangled the momma to get her to hold still. Then came the interesting part. Yea, he got to stick his arm up her to pull out the baby. I've never seen such a glow on his face. He was definatley in his element. Who would have thought an arm up a cow would be anyones element, eh?

He got the chain fastened around the foot of the calf and pulled with her contractions. It didnt take long and a life was born. A steaming hot, bloody calf, half stuck in the birth sac. You wouldnt think that would be a pretty sight, slime and all......but I stood there in amazement that MRLI had just helped deliver a life. He pulled the sac from her face, and encouraged momma to come and see her baby. It was mommas turn to take over. It was truly awesome. He glowed for the rest of the weekend.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was nice. Now for your next child you won't need to go to the hospital. Tell him the chain isn't necessary tho'.

6:36 AM  
Blogger dan said...

I'm so glad to hear things are going well with you and MRLI.

And not so glad to hear about slime and sacs and chains. It reminds me of frat night in college.

12:55 PM  
Blogger jane said...

LOL @ what Manica said. I can't handle too much of that sac blood filled stuff. But baby cows, WOW. We used to live next to a llama farm, did you know they spit stinky green stuff if they don't like you?
I'm glad to hear things are going well with you and MRLI. It's about time you got treated right! Hey, don't stay away so long next time dammit! I worry!

1:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And they say birth is a wonderful thing? You make it sound so glamourous...

It is good to know that MRLI has gotten his stuff together...

8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home