Thursday, November 17, 2005

BEST DAY EVER

Recently I found this classwork assignment in my 5th graders papers. I was touched by the simple things that children remember and reminded how important those little things are:

Best Day Ever
"Last summer I was the only one up and my mom and I were the only people there at my old peach house. My mom was sleeping. I was bored, so I went in my mom's white light room. "Mom," I said. I looked at the clock at it was 9:30 am. "Mom?" My mom turned around to get me and she pulled me in the bed with her. Me and my mom stayed in the bed all day. We talked and played all day. Zowie my dog and Gonzo my cat were there too. When it was lunch time we went out to eat with my sisters. I hope you liked hearing my best day ever."
And during my recent bout of "I'm a crappy mom" I was also touched by another incident from my oldest daughter. She is getting ready for a school dance this weekend. While shopping for her dress she decided to mentally plan her wedding. (She is 17 and things will likely change her choice of partners as well as her fantasy of getting married after graduation....if her mother's prayers are answered....but I did play along for her sake.) "Guess who i am having for a maid of honor for my wedding?" she asks the family during dinner. We went through the list of childhood friends and current friends. Suddenly middle child pipes in "MOM?" She wants ME to be her maid of honor. I sat baffled for a moment and jumped up and hugged her through my tears. If it had been another child I would have chalked it up to my recent bout of illness and someone trying to cheer me up. But this child is not natured that way. I realized of course later that I would be the mother of the bride and dont think maid-of-honor would be appropriate under those circumstances. But I cant say I wasnt touched, deepely touched and felt at that moment like I had been doing a few things right after all for her to feel that way.
I accidentally forgot to take my meds night before last. Yesterday during work I started feeling the withdrawls. This just cant be normal. Effexor works that quickly? Within a half a day I was wishing I were dead. By the time I made it home after work I headed straight for the bathroom and vomited buckets of acid and downed my meds. The dizziness put me out like a light. I awoke to my youngest child putting a blanket over me, caressing my hair and saying "I love you mommy and I will always take care of you."
Ironically, at 4 am this morning I found myself saying similar words to middle child as she became ill and crawled into my bed. This is what families do.....and I can say that caring, truly caring is one thing I have managed to teach them all.

8 Comments:

Blogger dan said...

See? Happy customers.

Thank you, come again!

2:26 PM  
Blogger mizeeyore said...

that was a touching post Gigglez. it's amazing how little gestures from our children can bring a smile to us mothers when we least expect it.

and thank you for your post to my "adventures in babysitting" post. (((((((((Gigglez)))))))))))))

4:27 PM  
Blogger You and Me said...

i have recently stumbled upon your blog and have enjoyed reading it very much---this post especially--i have been feeling like a pretty bad mom lately--my meds are being adjusted and i am going through some major life changes---reading your post has made me rethink about the small things--i realized that my little one crawling in bed with me and singing our 'goodnight' song is going to be more of a memory than them have pb&j for dinner three times in a row

thank you soo much
marie

9:16 AM  
Blogger jane said...

I love your family. If my daughter asked me to be her maid of honor, I'd bypass protocol & go for it! It's her wedding, right? Wow & do you get that your 17 year old LIKES you? That is HUGE! If you ever doubt your mothering, think of that...as it's almost an impossibility.
The story your 5th grader wrote, reminds me of an Oprah show. This mom had terminal cancer & took her kids out of school for a year so the family could travel together & they went all over the country, going to Disneyland, things like that. The show was taped after the mom had died & Oprah asked the little girl what she enjoyed most during that year. She said, "Cheerios." She'd get up with her mom & sneak down the stairs & they'd have Cheerios together. All that travelling, the money, the amusement parks...and it was cheerios. when I read your daughter's story I thought of this.
It sure seems like you've got the priorities figured out.
I wanted to thank you personally for all of your support & prayers for my aunt; it means so very much to me.
~ take it easy

11:30 PM  
Blogger Polar Bear said...

wow, you're so lucky to have family.....

12:57 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

Hi, this is the first time I have been here (I am not the same Marie from the pervious post I am a new one). You have a very nice family. I suffer too from constant mood swings. It is probablly a by-product of my PTSD which I am still in treatment for. I do have a blog out there please check it out. lasvegasmarie.blogspot.com Please take care

4:17 PM  
Blogger Maggs said...

that was so sweet of her!

8:49 PM  
Blogger Dawn Eden Goldstein said...

Greetings, GNG - I'm a Daily News writer who's suffered from depression, and I'd like to make my next weekly column on blogs about bipolar bloggers. I'd like to include quotes from you in the piece. If you're up for it, please e-mail me by the end of the day tomorrow (Tuesday) at deden -at- nydailynews.com (substituting @ for -at-). Thanks - Dawn

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home